Mar 4, 2009

Heartland AIDSRide 2001

























500+ Miles from St. Paul to Chicago.

This was a hundred years ago. Always a good story to tell, about the girl who signed up to ride her bike from St. Paul, MN to Chicago, IL - but had no bike. That's Molly. I call her many names, such as b*****, F#*$%&*, jack ass, to name a few. This girl manages to talk me into stuff that I have no business doing. We had no business getting on our bikes to do this AIDSRide. We were in terrible shape, I was still smoking (yes I know, I know), and we had to ride more than 500 miles in six days. Who does that? Well, we did, for another charity, damn charities! 

Its hard to believe that its been nearly eight years since that day. Our lives have taken some very unexpected turns, including Molly's diagnosis with breast cancer. We never claimed to be athletes, but we always did our best. Going into this triathlon we are different people, our friendship is stronger, our bodies are definitely stronger, and the determination to bust our asses is undeniable. 

Of all the adventures that girl and I have been on together, I'm really looking forward to this one. 


1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for both of you...all the way...every time!

    Consider submitting (or having Molly submit) to http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/2009/03/tales-of-virgin-athlete-contest.html . This is a great little story.

    (I've met Steve, so its all cool)

    ReplyDelete