Jun 16, 2010

Ready. Set. Go!

Uptown Y. 5PM. Be there.

Its the end of a long day, tensions are high. Each competitor just itching to get in the pool and swim like there's no tomorrow. Its North East Mpls vs. South West Mpls. The clock counts down, 50 seconds, 30 seconds, 20, 10, and the buzzer sounds! The swimmers are off! Arms are flying, grabbing and pulling at the water. Bodies are propelled forward by raw power. The water splits as if avoiding the impending doom of this oncoming body.

How great would that be? Actually it was Pete saying "Go!" and it was Marie and I sprinting at the end of our workout yesterday, as a part of our cool down. What I learned is that I can completely bust-out a killer sprint for one length of the pool, but what I can't do is turn around and maintain that same speed. I seem to have three speeds. That's right, just call me "Three Speed Jenny", actually no don't do that. The first speed is a nice long, strong easy stroke. The second is a little faster and the third is the all-out sprint. But I'm learning.

It was a fun swim actually. In most respects it was boring (shhh, don't tell Pete I said that). But just feeling strong in the water is great. I changed it up a bit during the five repeats of 300 meters. How you ask? One length I'd breath on my left side. Another length I would breath every third stroke - meaning I'd breath on both sides. Really thrilling stuff.

Our workout:
200 meter warm up
200 meter kick (using a kick-board)
5 repeats of 300 meters
25 meter all-out sprint
50 meter all-out sprint
25 meter all-out sprint
Cool down

Total: 2000 meters (2187 yards or 1 mile)

What more can I say really?

The above swim suit, should you need to buy it for me, can be found at: http://www.splish.com/sales/SaleAwesomeGirl-SuperThin

No comments:

Post a Comment