Feb 27, 2011

If at first you don't succeed, jump on the treadmill

My intention was to get in a nice long cardio workout before my strength training routine yesterday. I was all set to slip into the big class room, jump on a spin bike and hide out for as much time as my partner would allow. As it turns out, there was a class going on. Crap, I still need the cardio. Reluctantly I moseyed over to a treadmill. I looked at it, it looked back at me (long pause) and I thought back to the last time our paths crossed. I lasted ten minutes and spent the next week or more paying for it with my foot aching for days. Limping should never be considered a reward. So yesterday, as I looked down the barrel of this treadmill I thought, "Its me or you buddy, I'm sick of this bullshit." I started off at a nice walking pace and deduced that I would do intervals of one minute walking and five minutes running for thirty minutes, or for as long as my lil legs would take me. I cranked up the speed to 5.0 (10 min mile) this was good. Five minutes into it I didn't feel like walking. I kept going. My 5:1s were now going to be 7:1s. But when I got to seven minutes I felt great. I didn't feel winded, my legs didn't ache, my foot wasn't screaming out in sheer pain! This is good. I took the speed up to 6.0 (9 min mile) and held it there for the next twenty minutes. I kept repeating to myself that I felt great. I'd adjust my posture accordingly, loosened up my hips, watched my breathing (not that one can actually watch their own breathing, but you know what I mean). And as I finished out 3 miles at a speed of 7.0,  somewhere around 30 minutes I was beaming. This is NOT a stellar time by any stretch, but for me, having not run any real distance since last October, this was remarkable. That treadmill was mine.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha YGG
    I might be doing the Boilermaker in Utica this summer. I'm not sure how much of it will be walked but who knows?

    Ever heard of pose running? Apparently I'm good at it. I'm still learning but I like it because it's easier on me, and I lose less energy from my feet being pronated. My CrossFit trainers are helping me and when the snow melts they're going to kick my butt.

    ReplyDelete