Feb 16, 2011

Strength of Speed?

Its becoming more and more evident to me that while I may not be able to run right now, I can certainly build strength. Over the last couple of months I've been focusing on strength training. Getting into the gym for hardcore circuits, core work and muscle building. Now I don't want to be a no-neck, I do know that my muscles could definitely be stronger. A good measure of this strength has been pull-ups. First of all, I learned that there is a huge difference between a chin-up and a pull-up. HUGE difference. A chin-up targets the shoulder muscles, with help from the elbow flexors including biceps, which in my mind makes this far easier than a pull-up. Because the hands are pronated, facing away from you, the muscles targeted are largely your back muscles, making this far more difficult.

When I first began this strength training regime I was barely able to do one pull-up. Yesterday I completed two sets of six pull ups. The nice thing is that my muscles are strong and lean, I'm not getting bulky from this work. What I am getting is a feeling of being much much stronger. I feel that when I am able to go back to running, biking and swimming at a comfortable pace, I'll be doing it with a much stronger body. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. I should put some before and after pictures up!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha
    Maybe I'll be able to do one of those someday. Chin-up or pull-up, either-or.

    ReplyDelete