Mar 30, 2010

Knowing your limits

Am I training for an Ironman? No. Have I ever run a marathon? No. Do I think that I can imagine myself keeping up with Marie at her regular run-pace. No. At least not right now.

After lots of thinking, some slumps of frustration and the realization that I need to focus on different goals than Marie, we've decided to break up our training. We will continue to swim and bike together when it makes sense, but do the running on our own. I hope that I can still count on her for some specific workouts, but it was time. I knew I was holding her back and it would only get worse and I was feeling more and more frustrated... hence the lace of blogging for the last couple of days. I will pick up some runs with Keeler though and that makes me happy. Very.

Yesterday's workout was a bit unconventional. Instead of lifting dumbbells or doing squats, took part in an endurance event known as the Vossler Open. This is a unique event that involves, two shovels, a cement mixer, lots of lifting, moving and hoisting that results in the formation of five (I think five) subterranean pillars that will be used for securing a backyard deck! I am sore today. But the Vossler Open ends with eating and drinking, which I can say was an absolute success!

Its Tuesday. I'm crossing my fingers that a text back from Molly ensures a 3 mile loop around Boom Island tonight. Its so nice outside, a bit windy, but the sun and warm air are a welcomed friend that I've really missed.

2 comments:

  1. An unusually concrete approach to training...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eight! Eight subterranean pillars! Mwah hah hah ha!

    Yesterday was truly a workout. But if you guys hadn't helped, we would probably not be able to move at all today. So thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete