Apr 12, 2010

Spoon Me!

I love running in Minneapolis. Molly and I commented Monday that you could run everyday for a year, never do the same route twice, and that includes nothing but parks, beautiful trails, lakes and even a sculpture garden!

We started and ended our run at the Walker Art Center Sculpture Garden. Per usual, we headed out without really knowing where we were headed, and yes Uncle Robert, I am now carrying my health insurance card. The run was great. The air was warm, everyone else in the city was at the Twins season opener at the new stadium, so we had the trail to ourselves. We wondered around until we found ourselves on the Greenway trail and then back again to the art center where we finished with a few sprints. Phew!

Once I got home I continued with my Week One schedule of P90X. What's that you say? Well, I decided that running, biking and swimming six days a week wasn't quite enough, so I've added a strength training program. In fact Pete and I are both doing it. We have also taken before pictures... you'll have to wait for the after pictures to see them side by side.

P90X has been talked about for a while and I've heard far too many people say how great it is. Since we don't have cable and I'm not up late enough for info-mercials, I could have very easily missed out on this. However, too many people from all corners of my life kept mentioning it. People who never work out, or people who have always worked out but wanted to see better results were singing its praises. I needed something more than bicep curls and tricep dips as a strength training program. So Molly (also an endorser) loaned me this discs. Day 1 included a Chest & Back disc along with an Ab disc. I cannot remember the last time I swore so much during a workout. It kicked ass! I didn't have to do any thinking, I just had to follow the instructions. Whats more, you can tailor it to your individual workout plan and strength level. P90X does have their own cardio exercises which I am not doing. Because six days a week of swimming, biking and running is enough I think.

In reality, I haven't added that much to my usual routine. Its something that I've needed to add for a while. Strength training along side any cardio is so important and I'm hoping that it will help me to burn off some of the added fat and boost my metabolism. I feel great and I look forward to the way the program mixes up the routines. Its a 90-day program and I do plan on taking some more pictures so that I can see my progress, but I won't be sharing those for a while... so you'll have to wait.

Tonight I'm looking forward to some relaxation at the gym - stretching, some leg work and maybe even a steam!

No comments:

Post a Comment