Apr 14, 2010

Scream if it Hurts!

Ok, dramatic title I realize, however I do find that if it hurts, screaming does help. It helps far more than complaining or crying. Try it! I especially like the "HELL YES!" when I'm out running and I've pushed every last bit of energy out of me during a sprint. Maybe that's why I liked Molly's bootcamp.

Today we're doing a nice gentle warm-up run, drills along the river and a cool-down run. I've found that using Youtube for inspiration is great. Why try to come up with drills that other people have already worked so hard to develop.

Today we'll do (and Keeler doesn't know this yet, unless she reads my blog):

1. High knee - grapevines left (a variation on the basic grapevine, video calls it a Karaoke drill)
2. High knee - grapevines right
3. Skipping - high enough to slap hands under the knee
4. Butt kickers - this time with our legs parallel to the ground instead of vertical
5. Quick feet - a forward and lateral movement
6. Russian Dance - legs straight


We'll do three sets of these drills across approximately 50 yards. If we're really feeling it, we'll do four sets or go a longer distance.

These drills came from the following Youtube video. There are two drills that we won't be doing because I don't think my knees can take it.



After our running drills, I'll head home drink a bunch of water and do my next set of P90X workouts: Chest & Back and the Ab Ripper. Sounds fun doesn't it? With running it works out to be about 2-2.5 hrs of training for the day. But it feels damn good. I will probably yell a bit during drills and definitely during P90X. Sometimes, when appropriate I'll yell directly at Molly calling her names like bitch, whore, bastard and asshole. Sometimes it helps to call someone else names to make yourself feel better. I have to be careful though. One of these days she might punch me. Ah friendship.

7:14PM Update
I was very ambitious when I posted this morning. I was mid-coffee, wide awake and full of great energy. At 5pm, when Keeler and I met, we both had about 1/4 tank left of gas. We did each of the drills listed above for about 50 meters each, but only twice through and then stumbled back to our cars. These were tough drills yes, but we were just sad. She hadn't read the blog and I laughed when she called ME an asshole. HA! Yelling at someone totally helps. It was humid as hell too. Its been nice and warm and we had a spot of rain, but the time we hit the trail it was just hot and thick outside. But, we did it. Towards the end my form was so bad that I knew that if I did any more drills I would hurt myself. Good lesson is that if you're flailing, maybe you should stop while you still have a head. We'll do this set again, hopefully with full tanks and with better attitudes. Damn it.

1 comment:

  1. what about screaming, when you get hurt?

    ReplyDelete