May 27, 2010

Do you get what you want?

“Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dali Lama

Yesterday was a test, in many ways, for me. I wasn't at work for more than a few hours when my hard-drive crashed, yes I back up. But none the less it crashed, leaving me without a working computer. With that I have to say that I work with some of the most amazing people. Our IT expert is this young, passionate, friendly and an ever-considerate dude. We all adore him. He was sympathetic as he took away my laptop, not knowing when I'd get it back. I made my rounds to meet with various people and then decided that I'd work from home for the rest of the day.

I had lunch with another favorite co-worker. We found a great Mexican joint on Central Ave and I enjoyed a large helping of enchiladas. We talked through my computer problem and about work in general and as always, I left feeling connected and psyched about work. I'd have to work from home for the rest of the day and bring my own laptop in for the rest of the week. But no big deal.

I left the office and met Keeler for a run at Boom Island. It was hot out. The first part of our run was not shaded and was along side traffic until we reached the trail, by this point the realization that I had JUST eaten enchiladas was hitting me. First and foremost I had just eaten, which is terrible for running. Secondly, my choice of lunch was not the smartest. After about a mile my body was PISSED at me. I was nauseous, bloated, tired, thirsty and cramping. We stopped running and (love her) Keeler said it was cool to just walk. I was so happy to be with her and have the chance to talk. We walked the route that we were going to run and it ended up being (as always) a great conversation. I can get so many things worked out of my system just by talking to that girl. She's my angel.

So, crappy workout right? If I have a crappy workout it usually puts me in a bad mood. I need these workouts for both mental clarity as well as building up my training. I had already missed a workout on Monday from the heat, I couldn't' miss another day.

Pete and Marie were planning to swim at 5pm, so I decided to join them. I did about 2,000 meters, not bad, but more importantly I was able to work on some issues that I've been having with my stroke. When my arms enter the water I cross way over in front of my head, instead of a straight out reaching in front of me. Pete is always having to say "Wider!" I haven't swam two day in a week in a long time and this felt great. I think because I had kind of written off the day already that I wasn't expecting to get much out of this... but I did. It was a great swim and I felt strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment