May 24, 2010

Let's Draft!

Last week put me back in the game both physically and mentally. It consisted mostly of running: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday I ran. Tuesday and Sunday biked, also swam on Sunday and then took Thursday night off. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I did the same exact route. When I left the house I noted the time, and then again when I got home. I wanted to track my pace. Guess what? It improved, a lot. And actually by the time I ran on Friday my legs felt strong, warmed up and just plain good. My form keeps improving and as Pete keeps reminding me, I need to give myself credit for how strong I am. Apparently I keep underestimating my endurance. I like that he's there to remind me. We added some good distance Saturday and kept up our pace. I think I'm actually working harder than I did last year, working harder and feeling better.... hmmm interesting.

Sunday, despite the crazy weather was a great training day. We met Marie at the pool at 8am. My swim was about 1.5 miles of distance drills ending with some speed. Then we cruised home, hopped on our bikes and headed out. By this time it was so muggy that a layer of damp air just sat on us the whole time. We busted out twenty-two miles and maintained an average speed of 15 mph, maybe maxing out around 23 mph. Of course when I'm drafting behind Pete it makes those miles much much easier. He doesn't let me do it for long, he likes me to set the pace... but I can sense him behind me, I'm imagining him behind me yelling "Mush!" Last week felt great. My legs were sore, by body was tired and my head was clear. Now I need to focus on just getting faster and more efficient.

This week will be more of the same, picking up the pace, adding some distance and remembering that I'm stronger than I think I am. I'm so grateful that Pete not only is supportive, but that's he's out there - right beside me. We need to register for the triathlon this week. We haven't done it yet because between the two of us its going to cost $300. That's the thing with these events - they ain't cheap. This year it will be a different experience for me - and I cannot wait to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment