May 18, 2010

Pink Faces and Happy Places

Ever notice that when some people exercise, no matter how much or how little, their faces get bright pink, completely flushed and look as if they could burst at any moment? That's me. I've always been that way. Maybe that's why I have great skin? But its true. No matter what the workout is, except swimming maybe, I get really pink. It lasts for hours after I've worked out, long past the cool-down shower, long past the meal that I inhale, long past stretching and sitting around. I've just come to love that part of myself. I think of spin classes that I've left where people look at me with the utmost concern. They must be certain I am about to drop dead.

I needed a good run last night so badly, and luckily I got it. My day had consisted of nothing but dead-ends, frustration and let downs. By the time I left work I could feel the bulging muscle on the back of my neck that was causing my monstrous headache. The entire drive home I just kept telling myself that a good run would relax everything. When I got home Pete was jumping out of the shower after his ride, I kissed him, changed into running clothes, looked at the clock and headed out the door. I did a nice brisk warm-up walk of one block and then headed toward the lake. I was surprised that no one else was really out running.

As I rounded the corner past the Rose Garden I heard the strangest noise behind me. From a distance I couldn't tell if it was someone on a moped and then as they got closer it sounded like someone bouncing on a pogo stick. I wasn't going to turn around to look, as they were clearly approaching fast and were about to pass me. When he did pass, I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a guy running in these (see picture) shoes. Craziest damn thing. He was cruising too. With every step he took he seemed to propel forward as if walking on the moon. I have no idea how difficult it must be to run in these bad-boys, but it sure looked effortless from where I was standing (running).

Alas! The excitement didn't end there. From the Rose Garden I turned right toward the Band Shelter, and again, there weren't too many people out except... BAM! Bikini! There she was, full-on string bikini chick - getting into the water! And just past her were a couple of kids and a dog swimming. Are you kidding me?! The water couldn't have been more than 55-degrees.

Ultimately I did my run in what seemed to be record time. It felt awesome. I was shocked when I got home and looked at the clock. Paying attention to my form, following Marie's instructions really has made a difference. I've only run a couple of times since I got the go-ahead from Moe and my speed was really surprising. When I got home, pink-faced and happy, Pete knew I had a great run. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's run now even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment