May 17, 2010

Seriously?

I made the most perfect egg salad sandwich for lunch today. And I mean perfect!

Moments ago I ate my lunch outside in this glorious weather. I work in the warehouse district of Minneapolis, so my courtyard is really the loading dock. But I like the industrial feel of the neighborhood, which overlooks the Twins ballpark. Not a bad way to spend a 15 minute lunch break - the kind of break I don't often allow myself.

Mid-bite on the second half of my scrumptious delight of a lunch and out comes one of the other tenants in the building. There aren't many tenants, as we (Modern Survey) take up most of the real estate. I'm clearly enjoying the quiet of the afternoon, eating my sandwich and soaking up the sun as my legs dangle from the ledge. I'm clearly happy. She lights her cigarette about two feet from me and proceeds to bitch. About how she wants to leave early, about how last week we had shitty weather, about how this week its so nice out and people forget that last week it was cold and raining, about her co-worker that's lazy. I don't know which was worse, the bitching or the cigarette smoke that so violently polluted my egg salad. All in a span of five minutes this woman lays a load of manure all over my lunch. I sat there eating. I thought about getting up and eating my sandwich elsewhere, but I just scarfed it down. I stood up, smiled at her and simply said, "That was my lunch break. Thanks." She didn't respond.

Disclaimer: I actually love the smell of cigarettes, as bad as they are. This in no way is meant to punch smokers in the head. I used to smoke. The above commentary was merely pointing the fact that some humans seem to not only impose themselves on others, but can do so with such invasion that it astounds me.

2 comments:

  1. How rude! Life is too short to be cranky on such a gorgeous day. Hopefully tomorrow you can have a nice, peaceful lunch outside.
    P.S. You realize I will now need to make an egg salad sandwich for lunch tomorrow since you planted the seed. ;)

    ReplyDelete