Jun 22, 2010

Tapering

With 18-days left, Pete and I will start tapering our workouts next week. So why the hell am I talking about it now? Because my legs feel like lead this week and I'm ready to start tapering.

One of my goals this season was to be a better runner. I am better than I was last year, but not by as much as I wanted. I want to feel that runner's high that everyone talks about. People describe it as a feeling that you get while you're running that you could just keep going and run forever. I want that feeling. I want to love running. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate running. I just don't love it. can push a 9-minute mile for a few miles, but the thought of going any faster for a real distance is just beyond my comprehension. I know that doing drills and cross training helps, but I'm waiting for that breakthrough. I'll let you know when it happens.

Pete and I ran hill repeats last night. At 6pm when we ran, the air was thick with humidity. Needless to say I looked like a tomato when we were done, but the repeats were good. We did the same hill that we did last week. Ran there to warm up, six repeats, then ran back to cool down. I could not get my legs to finish on a negative split though, which pissed me off. But it was a good workout.

Looking at my times from last year's triathlon, I think that my goal will be to finish in under 3 hours. That means knocking more than off 30 minutes my time. I'm fairly certain that most of that time will come off during the bike, but I know I can swim faster and I know that my run will most certainly be faster. So there you have it. My goal is to make it in under 3 hours.

Next week will be a very nice week, no drills, just nice easy runs. No long rides, maybe ride the course a couple of times, and all the swims will be outside. The following week, we'll do even less. I'm anxious, but not like I was last year. I feel strong. I feel good about this.

Once this triathlon is over, I'll take a nice break. Put my feet up and relax for a bit. Then BAM! start training for the Iron Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment