Nov 16, 2010

Back at the gym!

I'm not crazy enough to have attempted anything like a real workout. Okay, maybe I am, but I didn't. I drove for the first time today and it felt great. Pete and I headed to the gym when I got home from work. I was psyched to go for a number of reasons, the least of which was to have people look at me like I was nuts.

First order of business was to weigh myself. Now this is not something that I would normally publicize, but this is my blog, about my training and goals and my weight is absolutely a part of that. Last year I gained weight, more than I would have liked. Now this year, actually since July, I've been dropping weight, again, more than I'd like. I'm a tough broad to please. I peaked at 130lbs in June and today I weighed in at 112lbs (fully dressed and with the boot on, so more like 105lb). This is lighter than I'd like to be. For those of you paying attention, when one begins to drop below their ideal weight you'll begin to lose muscle. I'm 5'2" on a good day and so a good weight for me would be a muscular 115-120. On a small frame five or ten pounds is a huge percentage of my weight. I've worked hard for my muscle and I don't want to lose it. Right now, being more sedentary its tough to have an appetite at all. I need to work harder at grazing throughout the day, and packing higher quality foods into my meal plans. I'm lucky to work with amazing people who have been more than happy to help me out along the way. I need to take advantage of that. Aside from adding a solid regime of supplements to my routine, I'm also looking at adding more meaningful calories. I'll let you know what I come up with for food that keeps me happy.

Today marked 19 days since my surgery. How do I feel? I feel like I had surgery 19 days ago. I think that my attitude has been good and my moods somewhat stable, I haven't had a full meltdown yet, but I'm sure one is coming. I wonder who will feel the brunt of that blow. I'm dotted with some colorful bruises from various spills, catching myself before a spill or just plain running into things because I have three legs that work and one that doesn't.

My left leg looks like shit I must say. I don't expect it to look good, don't get me wrong. All muscle tone is gone. My ankle is bigger than my knee. The incision is still covered with flesh-toned tape so that appears to look ok, but the colors that are developing around my whole foot continue to be impressive. The only time I actually take the boot off is to change my clothing, shower or ice my foot. Then it goes right back on. I'm still happy to have that giant contraption protecting my foot. I'm completely used to sleeping in something that for all intensive purposes is a ski boot.

Going to the gym felt great. I did about twenty minutes of ab work on the floor and with a 10lb ball. I hobbled to a few machines to do bicep and tricep work, and then found an upper body cardio machine. I had to laugh because I completely, COMPLETELY tanked on that. I haven't gotten my heart rate up in nearly three weeks and in under ten minutes on that upper body cycling device, I pooped out. Rather than getting frustrated or pissed, I just laughed it off. I managed to get a good 45 minutes of NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH-in before I came home and watched The Biggest Loser. Pete of course was racing around the track at record speeds when I found him. He looked great of course.

All in all, I feel great. Today was a good day.

Day 19...

Yeah, its still a little fat

Are these two feet from the same person?

This was the glamor angle, I think it really brings out the color of my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment