Nov 26, 2010

Black Friday

Black Friday is the name given to the shopping day after Thanksgiving. It was originally called Black Friday because so many people went out to shop that it caused traffic accidents and sometimes even violence. (Source: Wikipedia, Black Friday). Later, the Black Friday name took on a different meaning. It was used to reflect that it was a profitable day for retailers. Accountants generally use black to signify profit, and red to signify loss when recording retailers' books. 

For me Black Friday means rolling into a quiet office, listening to my iPod and getting some clean-up work done at my desk. Emails, files, the stuff that I never have time for. About half of my co-workers trickle in at various times. Some stay for an hour, some for the day. There's a nice peace about the air and we're all pleasantly hung-over from food. 

This year we had the pleasure of hosting Thanksgiving at our house again, which included a wonderful visit from my brother and sister in law. Interestingly my brother has been become quite the Cross Fit junkie. Along with that he's been following the Primal Blueprint for his diet and has seen amazing results. They both have in fact. Pete and I do pretty well in terms of the quality of foods that eat, very little if any processed foods, lots of veggies, lots of fresh fresh fresh. But we do eat carbs, pastas, quinoa, etc. I'd be interested to see what would happen if we leaned more toward the Primal Blueprint.

I'm looking forward to spending some more time at the gym next week. I have two more weeks in this air-cast with no weight on my foot. Hopefully I'll be upgrading to a walking boot! I cannot wait to put my foot down! But I know it will hurt like a sonofabitch.

29 days after surgery... as I was climbing into the tub tonight I was simply amazed at how colorful my foot was. That in fact the blue of that toe just left of my big toe was very similar to that of the bathtub. The wrinkliness of my skin isn't from soaking in the tub, it hadn't even hit water yet, much of what you see below is still surgical tape covering the incision.


On a happier and more attractive note...

Today was also the two-year anniversary of our first date (ahhhh). Pete brought me a turkey sandwich while I was at work, then we cruised around.

Our cruise included a trip the magical land of Gear West Bike & Triathlon, which always is a good time. Aside from picking up two Spinerval DVDs (which only made me sad that I can't ride right now), we also managed to take advantage of several other sales that they had going on. Kevin and the team at that store never cease to amaze me. For being total gear-head dorks, they are never jerks - which as many of you know is hard to come by. They're honest, funny as hell and will make sure you're fed and caffeinated by the time you leave. Its always worth the drive to Long Lake, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment