Apr 13, 2009

Superfoods

Visit any number of websites dedicated to nutrition and they all talk about superfoods. These are foods that everyone agrees will help to keep you safe from heart disease, cancer, and high cholesterol. As I've been training, my diet has been getting better and better. Don't get me wrong, I splurge on some of my favorite "junk" foods from time to time, but everything in moderation. What I find is that the more I eat well, the more I want to eat well.

Add these foods to your daily diet and you'll start to notice the difference too. What difference? Everything from energy, to stomach happiness, and a decreased hunger for junk to name a few.
  • Beans
  • Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Oats
  • Oranges
  • Pumpkin
  • Salmon
  • Soy
  • Spinach
  • Tea (green or black)
  • Tomatoes
  • Turkey
  • Walnuts
  • Yogurt
If its packaged food, grey or fortified with something chances are it isn't good for you. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup and trans fats - period. Look at the packaging, if these ingredients are listed...don't eat it.

The funny thing is, I'm actually eating more. Clearly I need to eat more because I'm burning calories like crazy, but I'm eating smaller portions throughout the day. Today for instance I drank a smoothie on the way to work. I don't like breakfast, so instead I make these amazing smoothies: ice, blueberries, bananas, cranberry juice, flax seed and a small amount of protein powder. Before lunch I eat a handful of almonds...hmmmm almonds are wonderful and really help to curb my appetite before lunch. For lunch I had a huge salad with raw broccoli. About an hour after lunch I hate a banana. I'll keep eating about every three hours until 6pm. All the while drinking green tea or water, tons of water in fact. I am never without my water bottle.

Why am I rambling about food? Part of the reason is because what I eat makes such a huge difference in my performance levels during workouts. I know that if I ate a bunch of garbage today my ride tonight would suck, it would put me in a bad mood because it sucked and my motivation would be flushed down the toilet. I save the crappy food that I still like for the days that I don't need to rely on my body. But when you think about it, you need to rely on your body every day.

Click HERE to learn more about superfoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment