Jul 9, 2009

Ready or Not, Here I Come!!

I think this will be my last entry before the race. I hope that everyone has enjoyed reading this blog as much as I've enjoyed writing it. This journey has not just been about me and training for a triathlon, but also about raising money and finding a cure for blood cancers. Cancer sucks. Its a dirty word. Worse than shit, ass, f*ck, bastard, bitch, damn, worse than any of those words. Cancer is a bad word and someday it will be a part of our history, not a part of our daily lives.

Maggie and Jay arrived safely last night. Jay has been living with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma for over three years now. He has gone without any treatment for that entire time. He will continue to go without treatment until absolutely necessary. I've never met anyone more educated about their cancer than Jay... well maybe Molly. But what amazes me is his attitude. He's not angry or spiteful. He doesn't just have cancer in one little area of his body - this cancer is everywhere and yet he looks healthier than 90% of the people I see out walking around. He is positive and full of life. I admire him.

I'm racing on Saturday for everyone I know that has been touched by cancer. Jay Allen, Lynn Dziedzic, Bob Masson, Margaret Halstead, Sue King's friend, Erin Wilson and my Molly. When I'm tired and can swim anymore I'll think about how much it must suck to go through chemo. When my legs can't peddle anymore and I want to quite I'll think about all of the parents who have lost a child. When I'm running and my legs want to buckle, I'll keep going because I can... and that I am making a difference.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone who knows you, everyone who's pledged, will agree that you've already won. We're all so proud of you. You're our hero, you know. We just want Saturday to be everything you (and Molly, of course) have hoped and dreamed it would be. Please give my love to Molly, Jay & Maggie, Matt & Shellie. And know that you are buoyed by the love Mary Ann & I are sending your way.

    Love,
    Dad & Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have already started my happy crying.
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so proud of you, Jenny. We will be thinking of you tomorrow and cheering from NY. Go Jenny Go!!! We love you. xoxo Cara, Christian, Christian and Angela

    ReplyDelete