Mar 10, 2010

Lazy-ass Slow Poke

I can't even begin to explain how much fun I had last night. Marie is a doll. How she puts up with me I have no idea.

It was about 40-degrees out (yay) but raining (boo). I went to her house to run from there and do drills. Drills are done to improve form and efficiency. Know what I learned? I have terrible form and I'm an extremely inefficient runner.

Now, going through one night of drills certainly isn't going to change my life, I know that I have to work on these basics. In the long run I hope that I enjoy running more, speed things up a bit and can have more control over what my body is doing. Marie is such a great coach. She's calm and patient and conscious of the words she uses when being critical. Although with me, she can take more liberty. Not that I want her to call me a lazy-ass slow poke that runs like I have a hump on my back, but you see where I'm going with this.

It was cold and crappy last night, but honestly I didn't notice. I would imagine that doing drills on crappy days makes sense. I was so focused on doing the drills that being soaked wasn't relevant. I would rather save the nice days for the long runs anyway.

We've also decided to cut down my swims to one day a week (very sad face). My shoulder just can't take it. So I'm going to add a running day (2-bike, 1-swim, 3-runs). While Marie is in the pool, I will be doing drills on the track at the gym. I'm hoping that this also allows me to begin catching up to her. I'm so concerned about slowing her down or dragging her training into the mud, so I think this is a good plan. At least for the time being.

2 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of running with Marie and how patient she was with our Learn to Run clinic! Sounds like you two are a good training team. I would love to know what exactly these drills involve... for some reason I imagine you running back and forth between light poles as fast as you can. Please describe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh we will get to lamp post sprints!!

    ReplyDelete