Mar 15, 2010

Really Really Special or Annoying as Hell

Anyone that lives in Minneapolis knows that Lake Calhoun, during the spring and summer months, is a veritable meat market. During the fall and winter the people that you'll find braving the trails are those people looking for a solid workout, serious snowshoeing, ice fishing, etc. But ah ha! In the summer we'll find short shorts, bouncing pony tails, the lack of sports bras, perfectly applied make-up and the latest in expensive over-the-top athletic fashion. This was the case on Sunday. And from a safe distance (the car) Pete and I enjoyed with much amusement.

Saturday however was a dreary and damp day. Perfect! Marie came to my house, bike in tow and we enjoyed our first brick of the season (bike followed by a run). We headed west on the Greenway from Bryant and after a wonderful sixty-minute (or so) ride we were back to my house to change out our gear and turn around for our run. We ran around the same Lake Calhoun I spoke about above, but on a dreary day, you won't find the floppsy mopsy pony tails. Sorry. Finishing Calhoun I came home, Marie followed but only for a swig of water before she headed back out for an additional lap around Lake Harriet. I have to remind myself that she is training for an Ironman, and I am not. I am training for an Olympic Distance Triathlon. BIG DIFFERENCE. So, I'm ok with her running the additional miles. Actually have to remind myself that I'm kicking ass.

Sunday was a little more difficult for me. I didn't swim with Pete and Marie. They hit the pool and I hit the track. I spent a solid thirty minutes doing jumping, skipping, grapevining, buttkicking drills around the teeny weeny track at the Uptown Y. Luckily no one else was on that track or I would have either looked really really special or just been annoying as all hell. But alas I was alone. While drills do cause my pony tail to flop, I assure you that I don't wear make up to the gym.

After my drills I did another half hour of strength training and core work. The Uptown Y is filthy. They have two areas of weights and equipment. The upstairs one which is visible to passersby is clean and orderly. The lower-level area, which is huge but out of sight was quite disgusting. I cannot recommend doing anything at that gym except the spin class (yay!) or swimming. They do have a great pool.

Sunday was a gorgeous day. We're all wishing that the sun would have lasted longer, but we're on the home stretch now... headed for spring. I spent part of the day on the porch, relaxing and enjoying the warm breeze.

I really did have a wonderful weekend. Every day I feel like I'm getting more and more out of this training. I love it. I know that not everyone understands. When I say "I have to work out" people say "Ah, I'm sorry, too bad you can't ...." But that's not the case. I LIKE working out. I CHOOSE to train this much. I have several big goals for myself this year and in this case the "journey" is not only crucial, but so enjoyable and worthwhile. I love feeling sore from an especially tough day. I like that I have this to look forward to everyday.

2 comments: