May 17, 2010

You may have spandex on but you ain't no cyclist

It was quite a busy weekend. Aside from being back into the swing of training, there was Art-A-Wirl, laundry, shopping, lounging about, wine on the porch, and catching up on the current season of LOST.

Saturday turned out to be the busiest day, and maybe a bit too much for me to take in. After a hearty breakfast of oatmeal, maybe not so hearty, but I like it, we headed out for a ride. It wasn't a very impressive ride by any standards, but it was my first ride in a month. I must say that getting back on my bike felt great. We rode just shy of 15 miles, on the flat paths of the Greenway. I have to say that it really kills me to see huge groups of people out riding, all in the same super slick matching gear. They look so cool that Pete and I must look like circus clowns - even AFTER Pete was geared-out from his contest. In some cases they ride four or even five riders wide, spilling way over into the on-coming lane. On very rare occasions Pete and I might ride side by side for a quick chat, but that's it. Single-file and drafting is the way we like to ride. I especially like draft behind Pete!

After our ride we came home, ate some eggs and then headed to the Midtown Y for a swim. Being that this is my second time back in the pool in a month, it was a light 1/2 mile or so. Between the warm-up, some drills and a cool down, this made for a perfect swim.

Sunday was the least special day of all. 2.5 miles, that was my plan for a run. I felt like a loser. Pete (my huge cheerleader) came along with me. I felt slow, limpy and had zero motivation. He of course did everything he could to keep my spirits high despite the fact that my mood was swirling down the toilet. A bad workout for me is like getting my ass kicked by someone. He said that I was running faster and smoother than before, which is very good, but I just wasn't feeling it. I was in such a bad mood for the next few hours, ugh, poor Pete.

I do feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things. This week will be a full training week. I'd really like to get entirely around Harriet if possible, geez, just typing that sounds so sad. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment